question Do SSI/SSDI use VA records only?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

Beranari

SSI/SSDI stuff: They just go off your VA medical records, or do they make you do another check-up? And do they count the benefits you already get when they're figuring out if you qualify for SSI/SSDI?

CalVet

SSDI and VA benefits are entirely separate. For SSDI, you need to show through medical records that your disability started within 5 years of your last qualified work month. You can use documents from any source. Being 100% T&P doesn't guarantee SSDI eligibility.

militarymind

Regarding my SSDI claim, it seemed like I had to provide much more evidence than dealing with the VA in order to win my claim and appeal. Consequently, I submitted all of my medical records, starting from my teenage years and continuing through my military service and post-service treatment records.

troppy

You'll wanna pull together copies of medical records from every place you've been treated at when you're going for SSDI, from private clinics to the military and even the VA, and let Social Security know about any clinics that you couldn't get records from so that they can try to get those records on behalf of your claim.

dVet

Board Chair
I only had my military records to go on with my first application for SSDI because I went straight from the military to disability.

However, as time and appeals went on, I kept adding records from different hospitals and clinics where I was being treated.