info Advice on resolving unintentional extra VA payments for a former spouse

This thread contains general information that may be beneficial to Veterans

ByteBound

As 100% T&P, I've been receiving an additional $100 a month for my ex-wife since our divorce 4 years ago, a detail I neglected to update with the Veterans Affairs. While there are explanations for this oversight, I now find myself needing to address it without getting in trouble. Any advice on going about this situation would be greatly helpful.

troppy

You'll need to bite the bullet and own up to the overpayment at some point. Better to tackle it sooner rather than later. The debt management center can set up a payment plan to make it more manageable.

Finestal

You've got to pay it back. Making a call to establish a payment plan now can prevent bigger headaches (non-service connected) later.

dVet

Board Chair
Overpayments constitute a debt owed to the VA.

I experienced something similar when I received excess funds for a semester under my GI Bill. The VA was accommodating and arranged a very favorable repayment plan, ensuring I wouldn't lose my entire paycheck for several months.

It's unlikely you'll face any trouble as long as you report the overpayment promptly. Given that it's a federal debt, the VA will reclaim the funds through VA benefits, future Social Security payments, and potentially any stimulus checks or tax refunds.

Declaring bankruptcy will not exempt you from repaying this debt.

Beranari

Firstly, remove them as your dependent online and check if automatic deductions of approximately $200 per month for the overpayment begin for the next four years, or if the VA sends you any communication offering a different method for resolving the situation.