question Where to start with Social Security for a 100% disabled vet?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

Baking Time

I'm lookin' to get Social Security and unemployability sorted for my uncle, who's a 100% disabled vet. Can someone point me the right way to get this done for him?

dVet

Board Chair
Since being 100% and unemployability seem to be conflated here, it looks like you are looking for more information on supplementing disability income with Social Security (SSI or SSDI) instead.

This thread has been moved to the Social Security Administration forum where it will still get its much deserved attention.

You may use the Veterans Affairs forum to ask questions regarding disabilities that your uncle has that might have a low rating and need an increase or for service-connected disabilities not filed for or denied as there are levels beyond 100% (Special Monthly Compensation, Aid & Attendance, ...).

dVet

Board Chair
100% T&P and unemployability are technically the same when it comes to the compensation amount.

You can be paid at 100% T&P or 100& TDIU, but both are the same amounts and you can't qualify for both. Being 100% P&T is based on a combined rating while TDIU is that the VA has determined a veteran unable to work at a lower combined rating, though still referred to as "100%" TDIU because the compensation amount is equal.

Your best bet here is to file for Social Security and to also ask what other benefits your uncle qualifies for in the Veteran State Benefits.

Baking Time

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. While I'm workin on getting him connected with Social Security, I'll also look into other vet benefits from the VA and see what Texas has to offer.