how can I make my schizophrenia pension a service connected disability?

kookie

Does anyone know how to make a schizophrenia diagnosis count as related to service? I get a pension for it. It would be good to change it to service connected.

dVet

Board Chair
To connect your schizophrenia with your military service, it's essential to demonstrate that your condition originated or got worse due to your service. This requires evidence of incidents during your service that are tied to your schizophrenia, complemented by a medical expert's testimony linking your condition to those incidents which could be in your military medical record or a nexus letter written by your current primary care physician.

Start your application by compiling all medical records, service documents, and any corroborative eyewitness accounts that can serve as buddy letters, including narratives from those close to you like friends and family, and a personal account as well.

Then, submit a claim to the Veterans Affairs (VA) utilizing Form 21-526EZ, or initiate it on their website. Ensure your submission includes your supportive evidence and any healthcare professional's assessments.

The VA may request a C&P examination to substantiate your claim. If they acknowledge the linkage, they'll recognize your schizophrenia as related to your service. Should they not, you have the option to contest their verdict through an appeal. Engaging a VSO can greatly simplify this process than it appears here.

Putting together a solid claim takes considerable effort, so considering an Intent to File could be beneficial, as it allows the decision to be retroactively dated to when it's received, granting you a full year to navigate through the entire process.