news Veterans Service Records Request Backlog Eliminated Following Tester Efforts

Hand-picked and curated unbiased veteran-related news

Veterans News

Hand-picked News
Official Account
(U.S. Senate) – The backlog of requests for military service records at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has been eliminated following sustained efforts from Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Jon Tester. The NPRC, operated by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), stores military service records that veterans rely on to access their earned Department of Veterans Affairs-administered (VA) programs, including health care, education, disability, pension, and burial benefits.
“Veterans need to be able to quickly access their military service records to apply for the VA care and benefits they earned,” said Tester. “These men and women should never have to wait months on end to access these critical records, and I’m glad NPRC staff worked overtime to tackle this backlog for veterans seeking their hard-earned benefits. This is a step in the right direction, and I’ll keep working with my colleagues to make sure the NPRC has the support it needs to deliver for veterans in a timely manner.”
From March 2020 through March 2022, the NPRC backlog grew to more than 600,000 pending requests from veterans for military service records due to issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. To tackle the backlog, NPRC worked with to build its capacity to fulfill veterans’ requests by implementing technology improvements, hiring additional staff, expanding its contract labor, and upgrading its building. It also worked with VA to start digitizing NPRC records.
As Chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs’ Committee and a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Tester helped secured funds that allowed the NPRC and VA to begin digitizing veterans’ military service records in the PACT Act, the CARES Act, the American Rescue Plan, the Fiscal Year 2022 federal funding bill. He also helped authorize funding for NARA to address the records backlog and roll-out a plan to clear the backlog of hundreds of thousands of record requests in the Fiscal Year 2023 National Defense Authorization Act.
Read more at: https://www.veterans.senate.gov/202...t-backlog-eliminated-following-tester-efforts