question Is VR&E an option after the 12-year eligibility limit?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

taylor

Hello, everyone! I had a bit of Chapter 33 benefits left, about 3 months, but they've expired. I'm aiming to get back to school, so I applied for VR&E. But then, I read something about a 12-year eligibility limit? I got out in 2008. Does that mean I'm too late? I've been 100% P&T since August 2017.

Are there any other paths available for me? Or has anyone managed to get VR&E approval even after 12 years?

greg

The only thing I came across to get beyond the 12-year eligibility period for VR&E is having a serious employment handicap.

The VA defines this as, "Having an SEH means your service-connected disability significantly limits your ability to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment (a job that doesn’t make your disability worse; is stable; and matches your abilities, aptitudes, and interests)."

I picked up on your 100% T&P status. It's possible that at least one or more of your conditions are significant enough to be considered a serious employment handicap, potentially requiring retraining for you to return to work.

So, it looks like there's a way. It's only a matter of whether you can make a case for it with a VR&E counselor.