news Veterans: Don’t feed the ‘claim sharks’

Hand-picked and curated unbiased veteran-related news

Veterans News

Hand-picked News
Official Account
COEUR d’ALENE — Sharks are circling local veterans. They’re not out for blood, but for a cut of disability compensation benefits.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has warned of an increase in email, phone and social media scams targeting veterans to access benefits or submit claims on their behalf.
Many scams are related to the Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxins Act, known as the PACT Act, which expands health care and benefits for veterans exposed to burn pits, Agent Orange and other toxic substances. The law affects an estimated five million veterans who were exposed to toxins during the Vietnam, Gulf War and post-9/11 eras.
“Some are legitimate and some aren’t,” said Roy Reel, chair of the Kootenai County Veterans Council. “You have to do your homework. Some of them are just crooks.”
Reel said these scammers charge exorbitant fees to file claims that VA-accredited claims officers will do for free. Their goal isn’t to help a veteran to receive a benefit but instead to add on costs or hidden fees for services.
Veterans can confirm whether a representative or firm is accredited by using a tool on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Read more at: https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2024/feb/06/veterans-dont-feed-the-claim-sharks-snp/

PoeticPainter

When I shared information about my situation in other places, I received an overwhelming number of recommendations for companies that might be able to offer assistance.

Fortunately, some vets cautioned me that these companies were probably more interested in serving their interests rather than genuinely helping me.

DormantDuck

I'm not sure about the connection here, but I received messages from vets and docs requesting upwards of $1000 for writing a nexus letter, claiming it would ensure a winning claim.

It appeared quite scammy the more I talked with them, especially as they became more pushy. Additionally, these messages were from veterans or doctors across the country, who I have never seen or would see, but would get a nexus letter for the right price.

dVet

Board Chair
The biggest issue that I have with these "claim shark" companies is that many of them are owned and operated by veterans. It's quite surprising that some even take pride in their label as a "Veteran Owned Business" when they are taking advantage of what you would believe are their own.

Once a claim shark succeeds with a claim, they tend to take a portion of the awarded retroactive back pay. Alternatively, they may request nth months' worth of a veteran's total compensation payments as their fee; though, I've heard no more than six months, but that could vary from company to company.

Some of these claim sharks even go as far as to include perpetuity clauses in their agreements. This means that if a veteran that they "helped" ever has a rating increase, they are entitled to another payment. Since veterans provide them with all of their personal information, it becomes easy for the sharks to monitor any increases in payments made to the veterans through the VA hotline. And, if they become aware of an increase, the veteran better be prepared to receive another bill.

It's buyer beware when it comes to these unscrupulous and unaccredited VA claims assistance companies!

Finestal

These people are truly the worst... It takes a certain kind of individual to exploit vulnerable veterans by promising quick claims ratings, and occasionally delivering, only to take a significant portion of compensation from the veterans who are already facing challenges, for work that the veterans themselves could've done for free.