question Is it ever too late to seek VA assistance after military service?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

backinmyday

Enlisted in the Army back in '87, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Near the end of boot camp, this wicked back pain landed me in the hospital, got me a bunch of treatments, and cut my service short before the end of boot camp. Never bothered with a disability claim, just battled the back pains for ages. Come 2017, had this surgery that put me out of commission for probably good, and Medicare kicked in.

Wondering now, is it past time to look into more help?

dVet

Board Chair
Kickstart the compensation process today by heading over to the VA's site and submitting an "Intent to File." This action opens up one year for you to officially file your claim, possibly leading to a backdated payment from when you first signaled your intent—a much-appreciated retroactive pay drop.

Next up, touch base with buddies from your initial training who might remember the event that caused your injury. If there are people who witnessed the incident or its aftermath, their written statements could enhance your claim.

Then, it's time to collect your medical records. Since your Army enlistment was before 1992, you should start with the National Archives.

But, given the time frame, there's a chance your records might now be with the VA. It'd be smart to check with both places to speed things up, as timing is crucial.

Since there is a large gap between training and now, securing a Nexus letter from your main healthcare provider, after they've reviewed your medical past, is wise. This letter should connect your current back issues to past injuries, lending more weight to your claim.

Including your DD-214 could also serve as a Nexus if it lists any medical problems from boot camp under "narrative reason for separation" or similar discharge codes.

Wrapping up your claim with a personal statement about the incident and its chronology, while skipping over unnecessary details unless they're backed up by a Buddy Letter and are relevant, will solidify your argument. Emphasize key medical record notations and any pertinent info on your DD-214 related to your discharge, if any.

If married, encouraging your spouse to write a Buddy Letter about how your condition has affected both your health and your relationship together could also be insightful and helpful.