discuss Vet needs advice with SSDI app

This is a general Just Veterans Helping Veterans discussion thread

Finestal

Hey everyone! Just began the process for SSDI application with a lawyer's help. I'm a veteran at 100% P&T. Wondering if anyone's got experience with similar health issues (PTSD, headaches, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Knee Osteoarthritis). Feeling a bit jittery about it, appreciate any insights! Thanks a ton!!!

dVet

Board Chair
I did my SSDI claim myself. I was denied the first two times, but appealed a third and won it with similar ailments.

Unfortunately, it was a partially favorable decision because I let time lapse between the first and second appeal which took off about 3 years of retroactive backpay time.

I always tell people that these things are manageable if you buckle down and be as thorough as possible. I don't think a claim should ever be made and submitted on the same day, or even the same week for that matter. It should be meticulously put together each time, only adding more information to help your case in the need of an appeal.

You might be denied or you could be lucky and get your award right away; there's no knowing with this type of thing, even with a lawyer.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Finestal

Much appreciated for sharing all that awesome knowledge and your experience, just hit the big 4-0 and had to leave my job, gearing up for the SSDI battle, fingers crossed for the green light, hoping with my attorney it'll be a smoother ride!!! Big thanks once more!!!