question Can disabled veterans with base access eat at the mess hall?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

dVet

Board Chair
I tried once on a Marine Corps installation and was referred to Marine Corps Order 10110.14M.

Specifically:
i. Civilian personnel, other than outlined above when permitted by the installation commander to subsist must be authorized in writing from the installation commander (and approved via the ACOR for CONUS contracted mess halls). For those specific holidays and occasions outlined below no authorization is required.
So, the answer is yes and no, but more likely than not a no, unless it's for specific holidays such as the Marine Corps Birthday.

Reference: https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCO 10110.14M.pdf

Beranari

This probably changes from one base to another. Even though I'm not retired, I have a 100% DOD ID and have had no issues using the DFACs at Fort Liberty and Fort Bragg, provided I pay for my meals.

Maybe you could call ahead to the dining facilities you're thinking of eating at and ask to speak with the manager?

troppy

Do you miss the food that much? 🤔
Despite being somewhat expensive and not the best quality, the meals are balanced and likely a better choice than fast food options on bases.

However, this must be up to the installations with all the differing answers and anecdotes given in this thread.

To add to this, I've been able to dine at Lackland AFB, but have been refused at the door on other bases.