question Can buddy letters help validate medical issues ignored by leadership?

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

WorryWart

What would you recommend for an individual whose superiors consistently prevented them from attending sick call? Whenever I raised the issue, I was reprimanded and implicitly threatened with repercussions for going. My leadership was under the impression I was attempting to avoid PT.

A few of my medical concerns are documented, but generally only mentioned once due to my reluctance to return. Could this situation be helped by obtaining statements from peers?

HarshWorld

Include personal statements that detail what you've just mentioned here, with specific dates, places, and events. If you can, get statements from others who can back your story up. Also, make sure you have a recent diagnosis for what you're claiming before you file your claims as this helps avoid the slim chance of being denied due to a lack of a diagnosis.

troppy

Definitely. Statements from friends to back up how you felt scared of what could happen, and to help support your claim, are key.

Have you kept any records from counseling sessions where they talked about your many visits to the medical unit?

CalVet

All evidence that explains why you were unable to receive medical care should be documented on a statement form (21-4138). Having a buddy statement can also strengthen your case and the details of your situation.