question Question on getting updated VA disability proof for car purchase

This is a veteran-related question from a JVHV member

hypernova

I've got a question... my husband and I are in the process of purchasing a vehicle, and they're requesting evidence of his VA disability benefits. All he's got is the initial award letter, but it had the wrong sum, which has been corrected and increased since. Is there a straightforward method to check his current benefit amount? Or must we contact the VA and hang on for them to send out some paperwork? Attempting to use bank statements didn't suffice; they're insisting on a letter or similar documentation.

CalVet

There are several methods of getting an updated benefits letter, some quicker than others.
  • Login to the Vets.gov then focus on the top of the page for the VA Benefits and Health Care drop-down menu. From here, select Records followed by Download your VA benefits letters. Find the second header "Get your VA letters online" on this page and navigate to the Get your VA benefit letters link underneath it. When you verify that your mailing address is correct, click the blue "View Letters" button. Next, it's as simple as selecting the Benefit Verification Letter drop-down to click the "Download letter" button.
  • Use the official VA app to download the benefit verification letter.
  • Go to your local VSO and ask them to print you a copy.
  • Call the VA's toll-free number (800) 827-1000 and request that they email you a copy.
  • Last resort, visit the Regional Office and request a printout.